car won`t crank

The purpose of this forum is to host a library/database of common afflictions we have with our PT Cruisers and offer suggestions for possible fixes and/or repairs. We do not offer any repair services and our knowledge base is strictly formed from years or working on PT Cruisers and being on many service and performance forums since the PT Cruisers first came out in 2001.

We also have a page on Facebook called "Ask Doctor PT" where you can ask questions regarding mods, problems, "How To" issues and any other things you want to know about your PT Cruiser. We do not profess o know everything, but if our PT Friends embrace this site, I am sure there is somebody out there who can answer practically anything related to your PT Cruiser.

DISCLAIMER: Nobody on this forum is a certified Chrysler Mechanic and all information on this site is to be taken as offered suggestions. We take no responsibility for the accuracy or authenticity of the post made on this forum either by the admin or any member. All we are doing is sharing our communities vast experiences.

Moderator: MYREDPT

car won`t crank

Postby Bobby Riley » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 am

My`08 PT will not crank.Turn key to ON everything works fine ie:dash lights,radio,windows. When you turn key to START nothing and dash lights go out for a second then back on.Just replaced battery with brand new one reading 12.93v and it has 1150 CA.Tried to check relays...they seem to be ok as they click when I powered them up with battery. Since my PT is an`08 it dosnt have an ignition actuator switch to check & I dont know how to check the electronic ignition switch on the steering colum what else can I check. I though about jumpeing the solinois with the key on ON but not sure how to do that as I can only see the top where the red positive cable from batt. is attached.I can`t see the other terminals on the solinoid.Any new information will be a help.
Bobby Riley

Re: car won`t crank

Postby askdrpt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Sounds to me like a bad ignition switch? See the post under Codes & Dancing>Helpful Hints. And Yes, jumping the small signal wire on the solenoid would confirm this! If an Automatic, it could be the Neutral Safety Switch but that seldom goes on our cars while the ignition switch is becoming pretty common.
askdrpt
Site Admin

Return to WELCOME to ASK DR PT